That’s official, Snorms (downloadable version) is now in beta stage !
Differences since alpha/online version :
- Removed lots of the resource management parts, most of it is now automatic (mine, ports,…). The game is a lot more focused on the Third Person Shooter part.
- Easier weapon upgrade : weapon level depends on player level, you can still upgrade clip, barrel, propeller and sight individually
- Money : you gain money by collecting boxes in levels (the more monster you kill, the more money boxes give) and thanks to mines (each minute you spend in a level will make mines produce money)
- Checkpoints : there are checkpoints in levels (currently maximum 1 / level), you have to pay to activate them. If you die you reappear at the last activated checkpoint of the level.
- Bigger view port : currently limited to 800×600 and 1024×768 (the game can perfectly handle other resolutions, but it might be too slow), fullscreen or windowed
- Sound : uses of LWJGL for sound, it produces nice quality sound on all platforms, and it allowed me to add some pitch to the sounds
- Save games : you can have multiple save games on your computer, currently 5, but in the future you will be able to add as many as you want (and rename them)
- OS compatibility – tested successfully on : Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu 11.10, and MacOS 10.5
- Hardware compatibility – tested successfully on : Intel dual core, Pentium 4, and also works on some netbooks and under VirtualBox. You need at least 1gb ram for it to run.
- All main levels are there (12 levels + a secret one) : with the episode 1 boss, I will add more levels to Episode 1 during beta, before working on Episode 2
- 5 weapons available, other weapons are ready, but will be made available in next episodes
Smaller changes :
- Big map : press TAB key to display a bigger map
- Buy life/armor
- Difficulty setting : easy/normal/hard (unlockable)
- Options : you can switch movements direction 45°, it depends which mode you prefer
- In-game level transitions : dialogs and end of level screen (kill %, xp gain,…)
- Nice font : adapted from Ubuntu font, it fits very nicely at low resolution
- Buy ammo in-game : you can still retrieve ammo from warehouse while in-game, but it will also buy them automatically if needed (but it costs 3 times more)
- Statistics : death count, time played,…
I have not published this version yet, but I’ve published a one level demo version, click here to get it !
The full (beta) game will be available soon, I need to perform more testing first. I think it will be around 3 € as it’s a beta version. By buying it while it’s in beta you will have discounts on future episodes of season 1, and you will have access to all episode 1 updates.