New prototype version !
You need at least java 1.6 installed on your computer, that’s all, Kleum is a java applet, it does not need special security settings, just launch and test !
On Firefox (maybe on other browsers too) there seems to be some problems when launching multiple version of the applet in the same browsing session (not necessarily at the same time). You have to close the browser and restart it in order for the applet to work (the jvm is not restarted, and even if the jar are not the same, they seem to share some classes… security issue ?)
What’s new ?
- Threaded sound to avoid blocking snake while playing sounds
- Increased performance around 300 % on my computer (code clean up and java 2d optimization)
- Corrected some odd behavior of the camera (the camera was moving after the snake)
- Added a mini-map on the bottom right of the screen, it is updated every 5 seconds
- Added life system : you can now loose/gain life, when you have no left lives the snake will stop (no game over screen yet)
- Added score : almost all items increase score
- Added time : not used right now, will be used to increase score if you made a good time
- Changed the map a little, mainly to add some “red diamonds” and “size reduction infinite” items
My sound problems were mostly coming from sun/oracle jvm on ubuntu, I installed it on my ubuntu 11.10 by habit (even if it’s not in the repository anymore) and it seems it doesn’t interact very well with the sound system (alsa I guess). Moving back to the default open jdk solved my problem, I can now play/test while watching movies on youtube 🙂 So… no joal for now.
- Green diamond : what you must get in order to finish the level
- Red diamond : bad diamond, will grow the snake
- Heart : gives you a new life.
- Pause : will pause the snake, allowing you to decide peacefully on your next move
- Size reduction : will reduce snake size
- Size reduction infinite : will reduce snake size, item does stay on the map, so that you can pick it infinitely
- Teleport in/out : will teleport player from one teleporter to another
How to use the prototype ?
- When snake is stopped, press any arrow key to ‘launch’ it in the specified direction
- When snake is moving, press Left or Right arrow key to move it Left/Right (from snake point of view)
Now I need to focus on :
- Level transitions
- Game screens (start/game over)
And then kleum should be ready for beta version !